Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Teachable Moment: Forgiveness, Tolerance And Peace




I've had some time to reflect on the events that transpired on March 13, 2014. In that time I filed a State Of New York Court Of Claims. The case was dismissed with the reason given because Glen Cove is its own city. I've lived in Glen Cove my whole life. Many memorable milestones happened for me here in the city I have always loved and was proud to call my hometown. That feeling in me hasn't changed. I still love Glen Cove. At this time I am taking the opportunity to forgive the police officers for what they did to me. I've come to the realization that these men aren't bad people. Could the situation have been handled better? 

For 6 years I worked with the mentally handicapped at AHRC. These were some of the most fulfilling years for me personally. I didn't make much money, but I learned so much about how to treat people with mental disabilities. With respect, I make this suggestion to the Glen Cove Police Department; that Chief Whitton consider training his force on how to treat people suspected of being 'mentally ill.' Being suspected of being 'mentally ill' is not a crime. The escalation to using force should only be used in extenuating circumstances when the officers lives are put in danger. 

With all that is going on in our country and around the world, what better time than now to open up a dialogue about violence? Tolerance. I think it starts with tolerance. AHRC taught this to us. Tolerance for all people. Embrace the individuality, uniqueness and quirkiness in all humans. Lastly, Peace. Let there be Peace on earth… And let it begin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment